Healthy snacks can contribute to your weight loss success. What a great way to prevent diet cheating! Check out my top 3 tips for healthy snacks that will help keep you on track to meet your weight loss goals.
1. Conscious snacking
Plan ahead of time to make sure you have the ingredients on hand to enjoy the tastes you love and nutrients you may otherwise miss. Stave off hunger and eat healthy snacks mindfully for greater pleasure without loads of calories.
2. Keep portions in check
Plan on a snack of 150-170 calories to avoid going beyond your daily calorie goal for weight loss.
3. Prevent hunger with healthy snacks
Stop grazing before dinner by eating a light snack 2 hours before your meal. Healthy snacks filled with protein and fiber are good for staving off hunger.
Choose from these 10 healthy snack ideas:
- Taste of Italy: Buffalo mozzarella (1 slice) with sliced fresh tomato and basil drizzled with 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Festive Black Bean Salad: Black bean, corn, and tomato salad (1/2 cup) with a crisped tortilla
- Mediterranean Delight:Hummus (3 Tablespoons) with whole wheat pita bread (½ toasted)
- Peanut Butter Comfort: Peanut butter (1 tablespoon) on celery, apply, small banana, or ½ whole wheat bread thin or mini bagel
- Greek Treat: Low-fat or non-fat Greek yogurt (Small container) with a pear or fresh fruit salad (½ cup
- Milk and Honey: l % or non-fat milk (½) with a honey graham cracker
- Vegetarian Soup: White bean vegetable soup (1 cup broth based)
- Kettle Corn Treat: Kettle corn popcorn (100 calorie bag) and string cheese (1)
- Mini-salad Combo: A hard boiled egg or tuna (1 ounce) over salad greens (washed and rinsed) with 1 tsp each olive oil and vinegar and whole wheat bread thin
- Almond Afternoon: Almonds (1 ounce)
Healthy Black Beans Salad Recipe
1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 15 ounce can corn kernels, rinsed
I pint of cherry tomatoes, washed
1 Tablesspoon cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix ingredients and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve at room temperature.
Georgette often snacked all afternoon on candy. This habit kept her from losing weight. We put our heads together and now she’s consciously planning an afternoon snack that will keep her going. Now she’s making progress to reaching her weight loss goal.
Interested in healthy recipes for desserts? Check out my Easy Healthy Recipes for Fruit Desserts blog post.
Want more tips on habit change and weight loss? Sign-up on the home page and receive my latest weekly weight loss tips and my monthly newsletter.
Yours in joy and health,
Kay Loughrey, LDN, RD, MPH
Sweet Life Nutritionist and Behavioral Coach